Tuesday, July 16, 2019

San Diego Zoo - Birds and Monkeys

For a long time, I have been hearing that the San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world. I have been to a few, and they have been fairly small. This one is huge!

When you first enter, there is a big pond of birds. Mostly flamingos and ducks, but other land in the water, too.



Flamingos are usually colored pink in pictures, but not all of them, or really most of them, are solid and bold pink. Some are very pale pink, some are closer to salmon and some are orange.




I knew that I had a lot to see, so I left the birds and headed towards the monkeys.

This was a neat decoration along the path to the primates.



The exhibits have information cards with the animal name, and some other things like where they originate, what they eat, and if they are endangered.




I think this was a hippo that was lounging.






Some people were trying to pronounce this animal's name and were giggling.


Several sections of the zoo have these enclosed aviaries that have a lot of pretty birds.


















Lovely waterfall.

I had never heard of an okapi before this visit. I thought it was neat the way the animal looks like it is wearing long socks.




There were lots of fish in the hippo pool.











Aaah! Scary!!!


I stopped in the gift shop and met some new friends, but I didn't bring any home with me.


So outside of the store, we saw more climbing animals.


This one looks so sad! I hope it is happy.









I was excited to see a toucan in person.







This was just the first part of my visit and I only saw a small section of the zoo. I was in for a very active day.

No comments: