Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Marshall Gold State Historic Park

 After visiting the museum and before heading out to the town, I stopped at the gift shop to pick up a few souvenirs. Gotta support my state!

It's the California state seal. There is some controversy regarding this symbol. Featured on the seal in Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom. Some people believe it should be Califia (not me, as in 'Califia the Bear' 😂) but the Amazonian goddess for whom California was named. Some feel this is exclusionary and I agree. Learning from our mistakes and growing is vital to make positive change.



As we were having a snack at the picnic tables, a parcel of deer ran by. I tried to get my camera open in time, but this is all I got. At least I got to see it in person, it was a special treat.

Some old buildings in arrested decay.


Some of the historical buildings were open and there were small displays inside.


This gold pan is bigger than my head!








We were able to walk through this mine shaft. Real or replica?















The Coloma Road is a historical site.



Several monuments and signs pay homage to James Marshall.
















If you look closely, you can see the words "Sutter's Mill" in rocks. This is the site of the gold discovery.



The rushing river was peaceful. There was a cool breeze but it was warm in the sun. I spent many quiet minutes just loving who I am and where I am, and appreciate everything California has given to me.



I love the water.




"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."



And now onto the town of Coloma.


Someone placed a Little Free Library in the park. This is very exciting. Although, it was filled with scrapbooking magazines which was kind of strange. I was hoping it would be filled with books about the Gold Rush and California history.

This is a functioning post office.





After leaving the town, we drove up a short road to get to the James Marshall monument. He is said to be pointing to the spot where he discovered gold.








Once again, my California annual pass brought me a proud and happy experience.

No comments: