Friday, June 12, 2015

"Goodbye, God, I'm going to Bodie"

I have been wanting to visit Bodie State Historic Park for a long time and on this trip, I was able to do just that.

Bodie is about an hour's drive north on 395 from Mammoth Lakes. It is well worth a trip if you are in the region. It is rich in history and is a great place to visit. I don't know that I would call it "fun" since so many tragedies occurred here. It is spooky, and even when the park is busy, it's still quiet.

For those attached to their devices, this park does not have wi-fi, and I could not get a phone signal.



When you look in the windows, you'll see the buildings look as though everyone just dropped what they were doing ad left. That is pretty much what happened. Stores are still stocked, hoes still have the usual stuff like linens and toys.






I can't even begin to imagine what it was like for the early settlers to arrive. There is a six mile, unpaved dirt road that is very rough even on a modern utility vehicle. These people came on horse and buggy up and over mountains and around winding roads.




It's eerily beautiful.

No comments: