Tuesday, January 2, 2024

National Soup Month

 January is National Soup Month.


It is the perfect food for winter. And in my neck of the woods, it has been quite cold.


One great thing about soup is that no recipe is required. Just put what you like to eat in liquid, and heat it up.

Most soups have fragrant veggies in the base, such as onions and garlic. Add other vegetables, pick a legume, add a grain, season to taste, and add broth or water.

The one in this photo is lentil barley soup. I used onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and diced tomatoes. I added garlic powder, paprika, cracked black pepper, and celery salt. I used dried green lentils and pearled barley, added water (3 to 1 for dried grains and legumes) and cooked it in my pressure cooker. When it was finished cooking, I poured the soup over a mix of leafy greens. I do this so the greens don't get slimy. It is filling, nutritious, and comforting.

What is your favorite soup?

No comments: