Saturday, January 6, 2024

Full of Beans for Beans

The way Tom and Donna sing "The best day of the year!" is what I sing on this National Bean Day.


I could - and do - eat beans at every meal. And with the hundreds of available varieties, I can do it easily.


For breakfast I had black beans topped with eggs, garnished with salsa and guacamole, and served on a tortilla. A great way to start the day!



Lunch was hummus made from garbanzo beans. I dipped sugar snap peas and wheat crackers in it. So tasty!


It can be a snack or a whole meal. And you can dip any kind of veggie and cracker in that you like.



Dinner was tortilla soup. Lots of veggies and spices. And beans!


I served it over rice. It is so warming and cozy during these cold nights.


Cooking beans is much easier than many believe. And they are so versatile.If you don't want to cook from dry, you can get many canned. Some are even available frozen such as black eyed peas, lima beans, and soy beans.


I wasn't kidding when I said that I like beans. I get recipe ideas from cookbooks, recipe blogs, and cooking shows.



I have a never ending supply of legumes in my cupboard. I often think of Dr Michael Greger and his chant of "Beans, peas, chickpeas, and lentils!"


Time for dessert. Hm, should I have some pumpkin hummus with pear slices, or some black bean brownies?

No comments: