Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Museum of Natural History, Part One

 I left the hotel and headed to the NY Natural History Museum which was literally across the street. But there was a challenge in this short distance: it was pouring down rain. I didn't get any pictures outside because I wanted to stay dry.

 If you love animals but don't like to support zoos, a museum is a good way to see what animals look like up and close. Or if they are extinct, you can see what they looked like and how big they were.




 This vignette shows what really happened with the pilgrims when they met the natives. A lot of the history we know isn't completely accurate.


 All of the exhibits have these signs with information about what you are seeing. If you like to read all of these, it would take twice as long to see it all. This museum is so big, that if you wanted to read everything at all the displays, you would need at least three whole days to see it all. Even then, you would need to come back because you might miss a few things.

 The ocean is my favorite thing to study and explore. Other than California, that is.

 They have a wonderful section devoted to the ocean and its animals. This is an enormous shell that could have eaten me for lunch.

 I was careful to not get too close! This wasn't in the sea exhibit, it was in the area with some older and extinct animals. So these gigantic clams might have been alive thousands of years ago. You could cook chowder right into the shell! Instant bowl!


 I have heard people use "dodo bird" as an insult but I'm not sure why. Were they not very smart? Is that why they died out?

 The saber-toothed tiger looked a bit too real for my comfort.

 Please don't let any more bears become extinct.




 I briefly thought that flower was a demigorgon.








The ocean was once full of countless varieties and amounts of fish. But overfishing and pollution has depleted much of the ocean life. You can go to the Seafood Watch page for information on which seafood is better for conservation, and tips on what you can do to make a difference to save our seas.


 After looking at the animal history, we made it to the ocean section. There is a life-size blue whale that hangs from the ceiling. I don't ever want to encounter one in real life, I don't care how gentle they are.



 These exhibits are so realistic, from the way to seaweed and kelp looks like it is waving, to how the bubbles and waves are depicted.









 This is terrifying, there are crabs with legs that span ten feet and longer. Yikes!


 Can you spot the white animals?



 Mine!







 This looks like a real aquarium display, doesn't it?

















 It's a manatee.




 Why is this a walrus and not an elephant seal? The tusks make it look like it is part elephant.




 Polar bears!

 I'd love to have a polar bear friend at home, but it gets hot at home and we never get snow.



 This is a person in the reef, looking for pearls.








 Otters! Puppies of the sea.












 When I saw the sea lion, I thought, "Wow, if this seal had a mane, it would look like a lion." Well that has got to be why it is a sea lion.

 This is a very majestic creature.

I was getting hungry, so Mr Duffy and I went in search of food for lunch.

No comments: