Sunday, January 19, 2020

Pop Pop Popcorn!

 Today we celebrate the kernel. A high-fiber, whole grain snack. Popcorn!

 Popcorn is one of those snacks that really adds to a visit to a theme park, watching a good movie, or quenching a crunchy, salty craving.

 Popcorn is mostly popped with oil, or tossed in butter, then sprinkled with salt. And now there are so many flavors, with seasonings and spices, drizzled chocolate, or sticky syrups. And sometimes even blends happen, such as sweet and salty to make kettle corn.

 The most popular flavors are the classic salt and butter, cheese, and caramel.

 Caramel is a good flavor for popcorn, but it is one of those things for which I need a special craving for it.

 My favorite is a bucket of hot, freshly popped. I get it about half of the time when I go to the movie theater, and usually at least once during my Disneyland vacations.



Years ago, I used to get what was known as "pink popcorn" and it was a San Francisco confection. I would pick up a brick now and then from the drug store, where it was always available. But I hadn't seen it for a while, and wanted to find out what happened to Wright's Pink Popcorn. Unfortunately, it is no longer being made. And while I can get 'pink' popcorn, or other colors from candy stores, it will never be the same as getting a brick of it in a cellophane wrapper.











No comments: