Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Not Throwing Away My Shot to See Hamilton

 For Christmas, I was given an amazing gift of a ticket to see Hamilton in San Francisco. I couldn't believe it. Not only does it require a lottery just to have a chance to buy tickets, but the cost to see the show is really expensive. I wanted to see it and didn't think I would ever get the chance to, so I kind of gave up.

 Driving around San Francisco, and being on the freeway during rush hour would be too stressful. So I got on public transportation and that helped me to relax, knowing I wouldn't have driving anxiety.

 I went to dinner before the show, it was at a nice Thai restaurant. I had an order of pot stickers, which I think were from Trader Joe's because I regularly buy them and these tasted exactly like them. That's okay, they are delicious. I also got a pork and tofu pad Thai. I like the chopped peanuts, and it makes me wonder why I don't chop up nuts and seeds and add them to more of my own dishes at home. After dinner, I headed to the theater.

 Is it true? Am I really here? Somebody pinch me! No, actually don't really pinch me because I don't like it.

 Behind me is what the stage looks like, it stays that way throughout the show. It is minimal, but it works. They bring out props and furniture, but the focus is on the story. This is the kind of story where you really need to listen to the words, and if they had over-the-top things like pyrotechnics and enormous props, it would take away from the important messages.

The seats were great! Orchestra, which is level with the stage and a great view.

I enjoyed myself, and I loved the music. It was catchy and it made me want to dance. There were some dramatic, emotional moments that did get me choked up.

If you ever have the chance to see Hamilton, do it!

No comments: