Thursday, June 13, 2019

Big Birds

 Before leaving the Santa Ynez Valley, I stopped at Ostrich Land to see the ostriches and emus.

 There is a small admission fee to get to see the birds up close, and you can buy bird food to feed them.



 Contrary to common myth, ostriches do not bury their heads in ground holes.



 But they will peck your head if you get too close.




 Emus are similar to ostriches but they are much smaller.




 This one is creeping for snacks.



 These birds are very aggressive and they will try to snatch the whole feeding bowl from you.





 They had two rabbits there and I don't know why.


 This is a fun, quirky roadside attraction. If you are traveling on 101 through Buellton, it is right off the highway. They have picnic tables if you want to stop, stretch your legs, and have a snack while watching people feed the birds.


 Next was a brief stop at the Madonna Inn. I was hoping to get food in their nice restaurant, but it was too early in the day. But it was a nice place to snap a few photos and stretch my legs.


 I thought this was a neat light fixture with all of the grapes.


 Nice indoor water feature.


 This bubblegum machine was inside a small cave.

 They are big on wine here.

 They even have their own label.




 And candy!
 More grapes.




 There were these apples growing low to the ground. And not really apple shaped, more oblong than round.








Maybe one day I will get to stay in one of the themed rooms and get to see more of the central coast. For now, I will live with the happy memories of my vacation and appreciate the wonderful company I had.

No comments: