Monday, December 10, 2018

Happy Hanukkah

 I learned about Hanukkah and spent it with some special people this year. A big part of the celebration involves food, and I learned and cooked new recipes. Above, a tray of matzo balls set up so I can add them to soup.

 This is sufganiyot which is similar to a jelly donut. It is a pastry that is filled with jelly and dusted with powdered sugar.

 I also made a Jewish apple cake which was moist and sweet. I think I will make this when it's not even Hanukkah!

 Mr Duffy and I had our own menorah to light each night.

 We played the dreidel game. It wasn't very easy to keep it spinning!

 On the first night, you light the center candle and that one lights the first candle on the right. You light from right to left each night.


 This is the matzo ball soup I made. It was so good and we all liked it. And now I am being asked to make it repeatedly. It is easy to make, and delicious, so it is worth it. Yummy!

 Potato latkes are a big part of Hanukkah meals. This was the most oil I have ever used in any recipe, ever. They were still tasty.

 This is a beef brisket that I made in the slow cooker. I think I used too much broth because it came out almost like a soup. But it was still really good.

 I wore this beautiful dress that has a sparkly silver top and sparkly blue skirt. It was perfect for the silver and blue colors of the holiday.

 Mr Duffy joined me for the celebration.

 Mr Duffy tried to spin the dreidel.

 And then I took a turn. I wanted to win the pot of gelt!

 We did play for these coins.


 I baked these cookies, they were easy to make and enjoyed by all.

 These are knishes that I made. I got my recipes from the Jewish Learning site.

 These are cheese latkes made with cottage cheese and flour.

 Part of the tradition of Hanukkah is exchanging gifts. Usually the biggest gifts are given on the first and/or last nights, with smaller gifts the rest of the nights.

 This is the menorah lit up on the eighth night.





 I was given this wonderful book, Hanukkah Bear. The story is very sweet with beautiful illustrations.


Hanukkah was very enjoyable. I look forward to celebrating in 2019.

No comments: