Saturday, May 24, 2008

Eureka!

On January 24th, 1848, James Marshall found gold in the American River at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California.


When word got out about their discovery, people from all over the United States, and the world, came to California searching for gold.


I visited the Gold Discover Museum in Marshall State Park. There were many artifacts and historical documents in the museum. One of my favorite displays was the stagecoach, and the tips for those travelling by stagecoach. I like the tip, "If you jump, nine times out of ten you will get hurt."


Many miners caught fatal diseases, many got hurt. Most didn't find any gold. But most of them stayed in California to start a new life.


This is the American River where to this day, people still pan for gold. It was a rainy day so those panning went all the way into the water. I would have participated, but I wasn't prepared for all the water. I will get back to Coloma one day.

No comments: