Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Day in Monterey

When I woke up this morning I had a few ideas of where I would like to spend some quiet time. Since I love the ocean and still had a mad craving for caramel apples, I narrowed my choices down to two: Santa Cruz or Monterey. I chose the latter, as I figured the Boardwalk would be full of people on spring break.

A pirate greeter on Cannery Row.


One of the many exhibits.


The Ocean's Edge area


One of the large tanks.



Not a great photo, but you can just make out a ray in this tank.


Peeking in an interactive exhibit.


Some decorative elements.



Big fish.


Ocean traveler's exhibit.


A Califia-sized entryway.



More fun props.


Upstairs there is a hands-on area for kids to explore and learn more about ocean mammals. In the corner is a place where one can make a crayon rubbing from plates of different marine mammals.


Getting some fresh ocean air on the upstairs deck.



While looking in the water I saw a family of otters frolicking, enjoying the sunshine.


It was a warm, sunny day with just a gentle breeze and not a cloud in the sky.



Getting a closer look at sea life.






The "new" Splash Zone, which is pretty much the "old" Splash Zone.


Is that Gil from "Finding Nemo?"


A giant shell, a great photo opportunity.



Cute penguins.





The gift shop in the background.


The Kelp Forest.








A tank of small mollusks.


Observing shore birds in the Aviary.



A Dwarf Perch.


Taking another fresh air break on one of the decks.








A bronze statue of an otter.


Another otter statue in the "Wild About Otters" exhibit.





My day at the aquarium was enjoyable. I blew through there and saw all I wanted to see in a short time. I had to refuel at the Starbucks in Cannery Row before heading to Fisherman's Wharf.

No comments: