Friday, June 10, 2011

Shasta Dam and Mt Shasta

Once I was in Redding, even before when I was heading north, I could see Mt Shasta. It is a huge mountain, and so very pretty always covered in snow. It was one of my plans to drive up there to see it up close. I visited the Shasta Dam in Shasta Lake. I didn't take the tour down into the dam; I only wanted to see the dam itself and just take in all of the beauty of the area. I didn't spend a lot of time there because I wanted to drive up to Mt Shasta. I walked up to the dam but didn't cross it. For safety reasons, backpacks and bags aren't allowed, and since I was carrying a backpack, I didn't want to go back to drop it off. Also, a lot of my necessities were in there so I decided to just make a brief visit. After picking up a couple of postcards in the gift shop, I got in the car and drove up to Mt. Shasta. It is so amazing. I just don't know what to say about the mountain. Majestic seems a proper way to describe it. I walked around the town with this breathtaking backdrop. The main road was a bit strange, as it had some shops that were very conservative and religious, and others that were very liberal and hippie. I stopped in a bookstore and went to a taqueria for lunch before driving back to my hotel in Redding.

No comments: