Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Nut Tree

The Nut Tree was once a popular roadside attraction for people driving on I-80. It closed for some time and has reopened.


The present-day Nut Tree is no more than an outdoor mall with a few rides. It is new and clean and there are great stores and restaurants, but it's not worth a 90 mile drive just for the sake of checking it out. It is still a great place to stop and stretch your legs while on a road trip.

There is a Borders store which works for me since I love books so much. There is also a Jelly Belly which is the pride of Fairfield, just a few miles south of Vacaville. I tasted the new ice cream flavors of beans and bought a bag of pomegranate flavored beans. They were so good!


I was excited to see a bead store in the mall. I had no idea there was one there, and since I have been making a lot of jewelry lately, a visit was expected. It was a cute store with a lot of supplies.


This store is "Made In California." Is there any reason to think I wouldn't stop in? It was mostly wine, cheese, and some candy. I sampled some chardonnay artichoke salsa and it was delicious! I bought a jar of it and will happily snack on some later. I also bought a wood carved California shaped magnet to add to my collection.

I decided to check out the theme park area. The classic train is still there as well as the hobby horses from way back.


I took a ride on a train...


Drove a bumper car...


And rode a carousel.


No comments: