Sunday, July 13, 2008

San Luis Obispo

Bubblegum Alley. The first time I heard about this was in the book "Weird California." As I love the bizarre and eccentric I added it to my list of things to see.


It started with Cal Poly students in the 60's that wanted to write messages of rivalry on the wall. They used gum and before anyone knew it, the walls were covered. SLO tried to remove the gum three times but each time many pieces ended up on the walls again. The residents finally embraced it and have voted to leave it there as a bizarre landmark. The local merchants also like Bubblegum Alley and even sell bubblegum in their shops so people can contribute to the wall.

Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa.

At Mission San Luis Obispo I was able to check off another California Historical Landmark.

I also stopped in the SLO County Historical Museum. They are proud of their Farmer's Market and have a display about the local growers.


For lunch I stopped at the Apple Farm for some apple cider baked beans. That is so delicious!


Apples are their specialty, obviously, which is apparent in their food products and gifts. They have a lot of apple-themed kitchen items and apple flavored candies and treats. Their apple jam is very good.

I enjoyed some fresh apple cider and some apple candy before my long drive home. It was very refreshing and now I am in the mood for more apple cider.

The vacation was a lot of fun and I am happy with all the new things I got to see and do. I love Southern California and I love Disneyland and vacations, but it's good to be home. And now I can start planning for my next trip.

No comments: