Thursday, August 8, 2019

Happy Birthday, Mr Duffy!

 We all slept in, recovering from our very active time in NYC. But we didn't want to stay in bed too long because it was Mr Duffy's birthday!!!

 We went out for Chinese food for lunch. We were sat at a table and the waiter brought us a basket of wonton chips with sauces. I had never seen that in a Chinese restaurant before. I was impressed. The chips were delicious. I liked the sweet and sour sauce, but the honey mustard was too spicy.




 Mr Duffy likes savory food, and he is especially fond of Asian cuisine. I think part of that is because he likes a lot of Japanese culture, and he has many relatives who live in Tokyo. He wants to go there for a family reunion. I would love to go with him to meet them one day. I digress...



 We really like noodles, especially wide ones, so we ordered some shrimp chow fun.

 And we get rice with every order, so we got some yummy vegetable fried rice.

 I also wanted to try the beef with broccoli. The food was good but it really filled us up. We took our leftovers home so we could eat them later.

 We spent a bit of time, driving around trying to find a birthday cake. The first store we went to, they didn't have any flavors that I liked. Then we went to the next store and I did find one that looked good. I searched the store for a bottle of champagne, but I couldn't find any. When I asked a person who worked there, she explained that New York has a law where grocery stores can't sell anything that contains more than 7% alcohol. So they had mostly beer, and a non-alcoholic wine beverage. If you want any alcohol that is not beer, you have to go to a liquor store. And if you want beer, you can only get it in a grocery store. I don't like beer, so that wouldn't be a problem. We found a convenient store on the way back home where I bought a bottle of champagne.











We had a small white cake with white frosting and sprinkles. It was moist and delicious, and just enough for all of us.


Mr Duffy liked it. He isn't much of a sweets guy, but he ate a slice.




I didn't buy him any gifts to open since we were away from home, but I did tell him I would take him to Build-A-Bear the next day to pick out some new shirts.


Happy Birthday, Mr Duffy!

No comments: