Saturday, May 25, 2019

National Wine Day

 Today is National Wine Day and there are many ways to participate.

 First, decide on which wine you would like. I prefer red, either a merlot or a cabernet. Some experts say you shouldn't chill red wine because it makes it taste too strong, and brings out the elements that can make a glass less enjoyable. Some people don't like room temperature, either. So what I like to do is pour mildly chilled wine over frozen fruit. Today I used frozen dark cherries and it was a tasty treat.

 When most people think of wine, they automatically think of cheese. There are a lot of guidelines on how to pair wine and cheese. I say, whichever cheese I have on hand pairs best with whatever wine I have. My favorites, though, when I have them are colby jack with reds, and mozarella or monterey jack with champagne.

  Always serve the cheese with crackers.

 I had a glass of red to start, as I said I poured it over frozen cherries.

 What I really enjoy the best is champagne. Depending on where you are in the world, white sparkling wine can't be called champagne unless it comes from the Champagne region and made with specific grapes. What I had was California champagne.

Another popular pairing with wine is chocolate. I prefer cheese over chocolate when I drink wine, unless I am given the combination as a gift. Or sometimes if I have baked a fresh tray of brownies, I may have some chilled red wine to go along with it.

Whatever your wine preferences are, remember to drink responsibly. Observe all local laws, and never drive or operate heavy machinery during or after drinking.

No comments: