Sunday, January 6, 2019

Taste of New York

 On Saturday, I was so exhausted from the very early morning the day before, the long travel, and the time difference. I stayed in, trying to catch up on sleep.
 I was curious about real New York food. The humans I was visiting suggested kosher deli, specifically pastrami from a deli.
 We went to Ben's Kosher Deli on Long Island. Right away the waiter put cole slaw and pickles on the table. Both were tasty and a nice pre-appetizer.

 I was curious about their matzo ball soup and wanted to taste authentic stuff. They hadn't salted it, so I added my own with the help of one of my favorite humans, and it was perfect. Next time I will get Grandma's recipe, that one had chicken and veggies in it.

 My human ordered Hungarian goulash served over egg noodles. I took a sample and I liked it. But I didn't want to fill up because I was getting my own dinner.


 Two of the most popular sandwiches are the pastrami and the corned beef. Oh, to make a choice. I knew I liked corned beef, but I also wanted to try pastrami because I'd never tasted it before this meal. Luckily they had a sandwich platter that came with one of each!

 I don't know which was better, but I know I liked them both.


 In the glass case, they have so many Jewish delicacies like latkes, challah bread, knishes, big sandwiches, and so many desserts. It was only my third day in New York and already I was full of pizza, bagels, matzo balls, and giant sandwiches. And still had seven more days to go!

 After dinner, I stopped in the Starbucks near the deli to get a decaf latte. It was January, after all, so the air was cold. However it was considered warm for this time of year.

After a pleasant day, I flopped onto the bed, looking forward to my next day.

No comments: