Friday, January 11, 2019

Statue of Liberty

"The flag still stands for freedom, and they can't take that away"

 One thing I wanted to experience in New York was riding on the subway. When people think about NYC, I know this is one of the things that comes to mind.

 I went to Grand Central Station to catch the subway to Battery Park. That is where I would start my journey to the Statue of Liberty.

 The station is big as it is a travel hub where different lines meet. I had to go to a different section and down the stairs to the true subway line.

 It was not crowded at all, but I am sure I looked like a lost tourist. This is not like getting on the Light Rail in Silicon Valley!

 I purchased my ticket and was on my way.

 The inside of the train didn't look any different than the public transit that we have in California. It was a bit crowded, but I was able to get a seat. We rode the line to Battery Park and exited out of the station.


 The first order of business was to get a coffee from Starbucks. It was so cold so I got a hot beverage. I got the toasted cinnamon shortbread latte. It was tasty. I made the mistake of ordering a bagel from here and was jokingly shamed for it. I was in New York and ordered a Starbucks bagel? The horror!






 I got on the ferry so I could tour the Hudson River and see Ellis Island and Liberty Island from the boat. They do offer tours of the Statue's pedestal and crown, but I didn't want to do that option this time. I was happy enough just to see the statue in person.

 The water was so choppy as it was winter and windy. I sat on the outer upper deck to get a view. Pulling up was really a sight to be seen. They parked the boat so people could take pictures, and they played patriotic songs. I was so moved by the emotion and majesty that I cried. Mostly good stuff, like patriotic pride.

 The Statue isn't as big as you might think. But it is still something that everyone should get a chance to see up close.





 We did get a chance to see some of the big downtown buildings and the famous bridges.







 I was only in Brooklyn while riding the subway, and I saw the bridge. I didn't have a chance to visit the neighborhood, but it is something I will do on a future visit.


 Several ferries take passengers past these famous landmarks each day.
















"And I'll gladly stand up next to you and defend Her still today
Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA"  -Lee Greenwood

No comments: