Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Mmm, Brown Sugar. On Bacon?!?

 I went for a nice evening out to a place called Martini's Above Fourth which is a nice bar in the Hillcrest neighborhood of San Diego. There is seating indoors where there is a stage. Sometimes there is music, sometimes dance performances, and poetry or spoken word. I sat outside on the covered balcony which overlooks Fourth Avenue.


 I tasted their blended strawberry daiquiri which was quite tasty. After a few sips, my head did feel... fuzzy.

One of their specialty appetizers is called Man Candy. This is thick strips of bacon, baked and dipped in brown sugar and cayenne pepper. Those are all things that don't sound like they go together, but they do. I have been hesitant to try bacon prepared in any way other than fried or baked, and not even seasoned. But this was good enough that I might even give chocolate covered bacon a taste.


 Here is the menu of the foods they had available while I was there. I did get the garlic fries, which I often do when they are offered. I also got the shrimp cocktail that had huge prawns.


 I wanted to get another drink, but thought better of it. One was enough for me.

These garlic fries were delicious. I ordered them without the parmesan and they were still fabulous. I would have eaten the paper they were on if people weren't looking. The dipping sauces were also delicious. I think one was standard ketchup, and the other was a spiced mayonnaise. Good times.

In teddy bear years, I am of legal drinking age. Please drink responsibly.

No comments: