Saturday, November 24, 2018

joy to the small world (Disneyland, Part One)



 Mr Duffy and I had to wake up very early to catch our train to Anaheim. This was our first time on a big train like this.

Our train left San Diego before 7 am. That is so early! And we were still _stuffed_ after that Thanksgiving food from the night before.


 We had a lot of options for what to wear on this trip. We were thinking Christmas since we knew the parks would be decorated for the holidays. And we have been royal couples before. So we decided on Lady and the Tramp, because there is a Christmas scene in that movie.

 We found our seats and looked around in the area where we would be spending the next two hours.





 We had great views of the coast and saw so many beaches. I also saw a few towns that I would love to visit one day.

 This looks like a portrait behind me but it is the view from my seat.

 They didn't have lattes in their little cafe. So we shared a plain drip coffee. We were falling asleep and had to wake up. We were almost in Anaheim!

 We made it!

 I love the Disneyland Christmas decorations.

 There is snow on Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

 The band was playing a Star Wars medley.


 The wreath and garlands had beautiful, shiny ornaments.

 Wouldn't you love to live there? I would! I just wouldn't want to dust all those rooms.


 After taking pictures at the castle, we walked through Fantasyland towards Frontierland. Look at how empty it was! This is the section near the entrance to the soon-to-be Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. (I wish it would just be called Star Wars Land.)

 Okay, still no people.

Where is everybody?
Oh, it was Black Friday, people were shopping. Well that just meant that all my rides were going to be walk-ons this morning.

 I got on Thunder Mountain with no wait.



 After Thunder Mountain, I got my fast pass for Haunted Mansion Holiday and headed to Pirates of the Caribbean. Then I walked around New Orleans Square to look at the decorations. Notice the jazz instruments in this wreath.

This wreath has the colors of Mardi Gras.

 While in New Orleans Square, we visited the churro cart. We tried the special holiday edition sugar plum flavor. I liked it but Mr Duffy thought it was too sweet. We did also get a traditional one as well. Yum.

 Churros are such a big part of Disneyland culture, but I don't always get them when I go. Same thing with popcorn. Disneyland has the best popcorn but I don't get it every time I go. Something needs to change.




 After our rides were complete, we crossed the promenade to California Adventure.
 They were having a Festival of Holidays where they focused on Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Navidad, and Christmas. They had foods and drinks from all of those cultures and holidays. There were so many and we didn't have enough time to sample everything. So we settled on the Kwanzaa pork on garlic rice. It was so tender and fabulous.


 The pork dish was tiny and we did a lot of walking so we were soon ready for another snack. We shared a corn dog and a soda. It was refreshing.



 We were next headed to Soarin Around the World. We saw these festive bears on the way through Redwood Creek.


 After that uplifting ride on Soarin, we went to Cars Land to see how they decorated. We started with a visit to Tow Mater.


 This tree is made up of tires. It is neat how the decorations are made of car parts.


 The traffic cone tree.

 We got to the end of Cars Land and walked through the Butte to the cannery area. They have a Ghirardelli cafe there. We got a caramel chocolate shake to share. Wow, was it good, but the weather was cooling down fast and the ice cream was starting to make me shiver.


I got some cream on my nose. You might not be able to see it, but there is a tiny spot.

After our much needed rest, we walked back to Disneyland.

No comments: